Are you or do you know someone contemplating a move in 2014? If so, have you considered getting a free in-home estimate from a moving company? Along with reaching out to the company online or over the phone, getting a visual moving estimate can be more precise and can help to put your mind at ease through a potentially stressful time.
Tips for In-Home Estimates
- Be aware of moving companies that don’t offer a free in-home estimate. Any company that does not offer this service may not be as accurate on what you can expect with their rates or on moving day. Or, worst-case scenario, they could possibly be running a scam.
- Schedule at least three moving estimates from different companies. You can book all the appointments on the same day or at least close together to make the comparisons easier.
- Be prepared for the estimator from the moving company to be at your home for between 20-30 minutes
- Make sure to take the estimator around to all the areas of your home where you have items to move including the garage, shed, attic, basement, garden, etc.
- Take care to show the estimator any special items or valuables that will be included in the move such as artwork, electronics, special collections, china, pianos, etc. Discuss any special or requested crating as well. (A professional estimator will usually immediately identify such items and let you know the best packing options.
- Be certain to show everything you have for moving to the estimator – if you forget something, it will likely increase the relocation costs for you in the end. Ask about other costs for packing and storage.
- In making your final selection don’t necessarily choose the cheapest company. Other things you might consider are years of experience, insurance coverage, and reputation of the company.
So before your next move, consider scheduling several in-home estimates. Your appointment can provide you the opportunity to discuss your moving-day organization, packing options, and ultimately total cost of your move. Contact us and let us help ease any anxiety you might have by letting our professional estimator fully inform and prepare you for a great moving experience!
Beth Reynolds, owner
On the Move, Moving and Storage