Staying Relevant – Blogging Strategies

Staying Relevant – Blogging StrategiesWriting a relevant blog is like having a really good conversation; one that when you’re finished, you find yourself thinking about it later in the day or perhaps sharing it with someone else. My grandfather comes to mind when I reminisce of such conversation. He always was a great storyteller, keeping the tone relatable and details sporadic. I always wanted to hear more and never got bored of his narrative. True or not, I believed every word.

Living in today’s digital age, we are overwhelmed with content: advertisements, images, videos, Social Media posts and the list goes on. So, how do you become that great content source among all the white noise?  How do you stay relevant? The quick answer is you must continue to write fresh and authentic content. The longer version includes a content strategy with the appropriate outlets in which to distribute your words of brilliance.

The dedicated blogger has a website, posts regularly and might even make a career of it.  To put things into perspective, there are an estimated 31 million bloggers in the United States.  Of those millions, only about 2% make six-figures, blogging with their toes in the warm sand on an exotic island. So, don’t quit your day job just yet!

The truth is most blogging content comes from individuals inspired by personal passions rather than corporations taking advantage of another platform to engage with their target audience.  In fact, 60% of US companies have a blog: 35% percent updating it at least once a month and the remaining 65% percent haven’t posted in over one year or more.

But never fear, just about everyone is a blogger these days whether you realize it or not. If you write something on Facebook and receive comments and feedback then you are a blogger. Tweet a short sentence of 140 characters on Twitter and you are a micro blogger. Upload a video to YouTube where you can obtain subscribers and elicit comments, then you are a video blogger.

Arianna Huffington said that “self expression has become the new entertainment” and people are increasingly likely to participate online than just vegetate in front of the television.  Yet, another testament to the importance of your digital footprint, blogging can increase your online relevancy and increase engagement with your target audience.

Let me leave you with these final thoughts. There are numerous benefits to blogging, personally and professionally.  Over the coming months, I’ll be visiting each of the Southeast Business Forum chapters to discuss these in greater detail. In the meantime, you may be interested in blogging, but not sure how to get started. I’d encourage you to subscribe to a few blogs and get familiar with the different approaches from each blogger. Secondly, I’d recommend taking advantage of any opportunity to guest blog. The Mindset of Networking blog seems like the perfect place to start! Simple put, write as if you were sitting in front of someone engaging in a great conversation.  Be authentic and you will stay relevant.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to reading what you write!

Lindsay

2 Responses to “ Staying Relevant – Blogging Strategies ”

  1. Brent
    February 26, 2013

    You are right, Lindsay. Relevant content means writing about something you’re passionate about that matters to your audience. With those two ingredients, you can’t miss.

  2. February 27, 2013

    Staying Relevant? What an interesting title. I just had a conversation with a client that is struggling with the whole relevant issue but perhaps on a different level. He and his wife retired young a few years ago and now feel irrelevant, useless, with nothing to look forward to.

    They want to buy a business from me and contribute to society. A noble endeavor for sure. After hearing about both of their health issues, they probably shouldn’t take on a business at their stage of life. I am going to forward your blog to them. Perhaps there is another way for them to contribute. Thanks Lindsay.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.